Bird Brain

Posted by Randy David Wednesday, May 06, 2009 11:22 AM
For three straight years, we have seen the return of the first robin of spring at our house. Our first robin is little "different" than most.

This video clip is just a short sample of the bizarre behavior or this bird. Each year this robin shows up in April and starts to pound on our window endlessly. All day, every day for a couple of months. The only time it stops is when someone walks through our great room. Then, five minutes later, it starts again. I kid you not.

As I type this entry, it's there. Smack...smack...smack...smack. It's like something from an Edgar Allen Poe story. You know, "The Robin".

From Bird_Brain_




Powered by ScribeFire.

2 Response to "Bird Brain"

  1. Unknown Says:

    I was listening to a local show on my local Public Radio station, and they were talking about birds doing this. I guess they are defending their territory against the other bird they see in the window. One person suggested soaping the window so the reflection is broken, and someone else said there are static cling plastic pieces you can put on the window (you can grab them at speciality stores). One final caller said they used an 8" X 10" picture of Andy Warhol taped to the glass. I'd go with Warhol, but it's not my house.

  2. Randy David Says:

    LOL at the Warhol thing. I wanted to keep him away from the window, not emotionally scar him for life.

    I actually got in touch with my step-brother who works at a nature center in Michigan. He said the same thing (not Warhol but the rest of it). He told me that as soon as their eggs hatched the behavior would stop. I was out in front of the house the next day and noticed some newly hatched robins in a holly tree. Never saw "bird brain" after that.

    Next year, I'll go straight to the art work!

Post a Comment